Saturday, 24 June 2006

Tortoise Harriet

When I was in Australia for the second time in 1997, I went to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo (The Crocodile Hunter) and saw and touched this tortoise, Harriet, which back then was claimed to be 167 years old. It was said that it was collected by no other than Charles Darwin himself on Galapagos during his voyage aboard the HMS Beagle in 1835.
DNA samples told another story, while her age was confirmed, it also indicated that she came from an island that Darwin never visited. Still very exhilarating to have touched a creature that was alive when Darwin was young.

Last night, at the age of 176, she died.

Oh yeah, should you come past Beerwah in Queensland, where the Australia Zoo is located, I recommend a visit, it is not in any way as hyper or tacky as you would expect from something that could claim to be As Seen On TV.

Tortoise.
Charles Darwin.
Steve Irwin.
Australia Zoo.
CNN Story.

2 comments:

  1. What! She died?! Awww...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Thomas!

    Pardon me for lack of knowing what to say about the Turtle, but I did research your question about The Beatles "Let It Be" film and it is available on amazon.com on DVD at popular prices! Yes, that's cool. Thank me later. I'm quite immodest!!!

    ReplyDelete