Wednesday, 25 January 2006

dit-dit-dit dah-dah dit-dit-dit

When we first "landed" in Australia after our stint in Singapore, we lived with my wife's parents for a couple of months.
One night at the dinner table my mother-in-law asked if anybody knew what SMS stood for. I explained that it stood for Short Message Service and that it's a method of sending text messages between mobile phones (back then, I was probably still in the habit of calling them "hand phones" as they do in Singapore).
She was wondering because every day on her way to work riding on the Sydney train she would hear this bit of Morse code: "dit-dit-dit dah-dah dit-dit-dit" which, she explained, spells S-M-S.
She used to be a telegrapher on a ship and therefore knew Morse code by heart (she joined my father-in-law on his ship, guess she heard all the stories about sailors, ports and girls).
I wonder how many people know that the "new message" tones from their mobile phone spells out SMS in Morse code, I didn't.

Want to know more?
Morse Code
SMS
Mother-in-law

2 comments:

  1. Truly? This is fascinating. No, I've never been privy to this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, some engineer working at Nokia must have a sense of humour.

    ReplyDelete